hickory lane – hickory lane burger

My deepest apologies to you loyal readers. 2013 has been nothing but crazy for me schedule-wise. I have no intention on shutting the blog down. I just have to do a better job burgering! If you’re still there, thanks for hanging in there! I’m trying to get back on track!”

hickorylaneburger
Ever since Hickory Lane opened a few months ago, there has been a lot of talk about their burger. I took a mental note, but with most places in Fairmount, I didn’t think I’d make it out there anytime soon. This past weekend, however, I had a burger craving to satisfy and wasn’t feeling lazy about it!

The Hickory Lane Burger is made up of a 12 oz. custom MPZ (initials of Chef Matt Zagorski) meat blend (pork belly, brisket, and deckle), topped with aged cheddar, tomato, and bibb lettuce. It’s sandwiched between a Wild Flour Bakery challah bun.

hickorylaneburgerxsection
The meat was cooked to medium-rare and was super juicy and full of flavor. The size was perfect as each bite to the very end had burger in it. The simple toppings of aged cheddar, tomato, and lettuce compliment the already flavorful burger well. The challah held up to the juices and was perfectly airy and buttery. The accompanying house cut fries & garlic aioli were also delicious.

The only downer? The burger started to fall about about 3/4 of the way through.

Hickory Lane
2025 Fairmount Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19130
215.769.2420

Tagged: , ,

Discussion

1. A + J says:

Glad you’re still blogging! Wish you had commented on the ridiculous amount of cheese on the Hickory Lane burgers- it’s the BEST!

2. Jay says:

Welcome back to the burger game. Heh. I haven’t had one in a while, myself. Gotta try a new one soon. I’m thinking one of the trucks. Still haven’t tried LOS, so that’s probably the one I’ll go for. Looks like I’ll have to try to catch them way out in Chestnut Hill on a Saturday, though.

As for old favorites, I’m likely gonna have the chance to hit White Rose up in Highland Park, NJ over the coming weeks, for the first time in probably eight or nine years. Looking forward to that one, too.

White Manna, White Rose… I’m collecting all the classic New Jersey slider joints once again!

• brian says:

Highland Park, huh? I used to live somewhat close to there. I should check it out if I’m ever close to my hometown!

• Jay says:

Yeah, White Rose is something of a cross between a classic slider and a roadside grill-type place. The patties are bigger than usual, but the same principle applies – smashed meat grilled with onions. They’re not my favorite place, but they’re definitely worth a visit. I used to eat there often in the late 90s, with friends who went to Rutgers’ main New Brunswick campus(es). I haven’t been there since probably 2004 or so, but I hear not much has changed.

Two other Jersey burger spots I have to revisit eventually are Canyon Creek Grill on Route 12 between Flemington and Frenchtown, and a little Dairy Maid-type place (ice cream and grill) on Route 31 around Pennington. If they’re still there! Two spots I used to hit often when I worked on the road all across NJ between the late 90s through the mid 00s, before I fled for the West Coast for a while…

3. Ann says:

I’m not usually a burger lover, but upon entering hickory lane I saw someone eating it and I needed to have it. It was damn amazing!!!!!

4. Lee Porter says:

I told ya. Hickory Lane’s burger was “too legit to quit.” Happy you got to enjoy it.

I wonder what’s going to happen now, seeing as Chef Matt Zagorski was NOT too legit to quit. He’s with Cuba Libre’s company now, although I don’t know which restaurant he’s at full-time as of the moment. Damn good burger chef, he is.

I hope Hickory Lane stays as great with Chef Trevor Martin. Only one way to tell/taste …